Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ADOPTION GRANTED!!!!!

At 12:40 pm, October 14, 2009 the adoption of Riley McKenna Shortt was granted. The picture to the left is of her new proud parents standing outside the court building. The hearing lasted about an hour with all parties testifying; Mike, myself, our attorney, a social worker, the orphanage deputy director and the procecuting attorney. The judge then went out of the room for about ten minutes and then came back in to announce that the adoption was granted! There is now a ten day waiting period for either party to appeal the ruling. AS IF!!!

There were two moments during the hearing that were so touching for us. First, they questioned us about Brannon and Logan's attitude toward the adoption. Guys, we were so proud to tell them how excited you are and how much you already care for this little girl that you have never met. I guess Logan said it best last week when I told him about our court date and said, "on Wednesday, she will become your sister." With 11 year old wisdom he replied, "Mom, she is already my sister. She has been from the beginning."

Our second moment of great pride came when the procecuting attorney asked how our church family felt about the adoption. With our hearts in our throats, we told the representatives of the court about Family Tab and all the love and support they have given us and this child.

After court we got to go to Alexandrov and visit Riley again. She was just as unhappy to see us as the first time. However, once again she warmed up to Mike and just looked at me with her "a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do" face. Brannon and Logan, the bet is still on...still no smile from the littlest Shortt....

You will notice that she is in her "meeting my parents' outfit once again...same dress, same tights and yes Uncle Jim, same boots.

Sorry, we didn't post yesterday but we were in Vladimir, and our hotel's wi-fi kept crashing our computer.































6 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! I don't think I have the words to describe how happy I am for this day to be here. God is so good!!! Riley McKenna is one blessed little girl!! Have a safe trip back and hopefully we'll see you Saturday at the football game!! Love to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

    Love & Hugs,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations you guys...THIS is what unspeakable joy looks like.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! SO happy for you...I know you're looking forward to celebrating the holidays with the newest Shortt kiddo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Court Picture. It was 4 short months ago that I was standing in the same spot. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not Sure if my first message went through. On July 3, 2009 I was standing in the same spot after my Court Hearing in Vladimir. 1 Month later , I picked my little girl up and on August 8, 3009 She was in the U.S.A. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Followers